The first site of the Halifax Infirmary was a building on the corner of Barrington Street and Blowers Street in downtown Halifax. The Sisters had been involved in caring for orphans since their arrival in 1849 and in nursing since the cholera epidemic in 1866 on McNabs Island. In 1886, the mission started under the name Holy Souls, with the purpose of caring for elderly women. The next year, the focus shifted to surgeries, and the Halifax Infirmary was born.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email